The SSL certificates are signed by an Intermediate CA using a two-tier hierarchy, which enhances the security of the SSL Certificate.
If the proper Intermediate CA is not installed on the server, users will see browser errors and may choose not to proceed further.
The Intermediate CA:
- Supplies the necessary chaining to a trusted root in an SSL connection.
- Must be installed on the server acting as a chain link between the browser root and server certificate.
Step 1: Download the Root and Intermediate CA Certificates
Step 2: Import the Root and Intermediate CA Certificates
1. Access the Plesk control panel
2. From the left hand menu, Select Domain
3. Select the name of the certificate from the list at the bottom of the page
4. Look for the dialog box on the page stating CA certificates.
5. Paste the intermediate CA certificate first then the root certificate second.
NOTE: The order of the certificates is critical. The intermediate certificate must be pasted first,
then the root certificate. DO NOT include a space between the intermediate certificate and root certificate
6. Click Send Text
7. Click Level Up until you get to the top level
8. Click Setup
9. At the top, from the drop down menu, select your certificate
10. From the left hand menu, select Server > Service Management
11. Restart services of your site for IIS or restart your server for Apache