This document provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for SonicWall SSL VPN Appliance. If you are unable to use these instructions for your server, RapidSSL recommends that you contact SonicWall.
NOTE: To generate a CSR, you will need to create a key pair for your server. These two items are a digital certificate key pair and cannot be separated. If you lose your public/private key file or your password and generate a new one, your SSL Certificate will no longer match.
To generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) on SonicWall SSL VPN Appliance, perform the following steps:
NOTE: All certificates that will expire after October 2013 must have a 2048 bit key size.
1. Navigate to the System > Certificates page.
2. Click Generate CSR to generate a Certificate Signing Request and Certificate Key.
3. The Generate Certificate Signing Request dialog box is displayed.
4. Create a password to protect the key being generated. Please note this password
as it will be used to install the private key generated locally on the appliance and the issued certificate.
5. Fill in the fields in the dialog box.
- Organization (O): If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the
shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll, for example:
XY & Z Corporation would be XYZ Corportation or XY and Z Corportation.
- Organizational Unit (OU): This field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request.
- Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name, for example: Berkeley.
- State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: California.
- Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US or CA.
- Common Name (CN): The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name.
NOTE: RapidSSL certificates can only be used on Web servers using the Common Name
specified during enrollment. For example, a certificate for the domain "domain.com" will
receive a warning if accessing a site named www.domain.com or "secure.domain.com",
because "www.domain.com" and "secure.domain.com" are different from "domain.com".
6. Key Length must be 2048 bit
7. Click Submit
8. If all information is entered correctly, a csr.zip file will be created. Save this .zip file to disk.
9. Open the csr.zip file and copy contents of csr.zip using a text editor such as Notepad.
10. Submit the CSR file as part of SSL certificate enrollment.
SonicWALL SSL-VPN 2.1
For more information refer to the SonicWALL SSL-VPN 2.1 Administrator's Guide.
Once the SSL certificate has been issued, refer to this link for installation instructions: SO20365