Follow these instructions to generate a CSR for your Web site. When you have completed this process, you will have a CSR ready to submit to RapidSSL.com in order to be generated into a SSL Security Certificate.
Creating a Key Pair
1. Open a DOS window. At the command line, type cd \bin\admin\admin\bin.
2. Type sec-key at the command prompt. A Netscape key-pair file generation window appears.
3. When prompted, type an alias for the new key-pair file. You might choose an alias that matches your server (for example, web or mail). The alias cannot contain spaces, but it can use symbols that your operating system allows in filenames (such as hyphens and underscores). By default, the key-pair file is stored in the directory C:/<server_root>/alias/<alias>-key.db where <alias> is the alias you typed. If you used the alias mail, your key-pair file would be C:/<server_root>/alias/mail-key.db.
4. Type OK. A screen with a progress meter appears. Move your mouse in random motions at random speeds. These random movements are used to generate a random number for the unique key-pair file.
5. Enter a password.
Warning: If you lose the password, you must purchase another certificate.
See the certificate replacement policy below.
6. Return to the Keys and Certificates menu in the Netscape Suitespot Server administration page.
Creating a Certificate Signing Request
1. Start the Netscape administration page.
2. Login as the administrator.
3. Click on Keys and Certificates on the administration main menu.
4. Select Request a Certificate on the navigation window.
5. Click on New Certificate in the Request a Server Certificate window.
6. Select CA URL (enter anything in the box).
7. Select the alias and password that you generated in the key-pair file.
8. Type in the Distinguished Name Field information. This information will appear in your server certificate. Any variations can lead to delays in the verification process. When creating a CSR you must follow these conventions.
The following characters can not be accepted: < > ~ ! @ # $ % ^ * / \ ( ) ?. ,
9. Click OK when finished.
The system will generate a CSR which will start with
"-----Begin Certificate Request-----" and it will end with
"-----End Certificate Request-----".
10/ Copy this CSR into a text file. If you are using Windows or NT, you can use Notepad to cut and paste the CSR and then save it.
11. Submit your CSR to RapidSSL.com by completing the online enrollment process.