This document provides installation instructions for cPanel. If these instructions do not work with for the server, RapidSSL recommends that the server vendor or the organization, which supports cPanel be contacted.
Step 1: Download the RapidSSL Intermediate CA Certificate
- Download the Intermediate CA certificate
- Paste the file to a Notepad document.
NOTE: Make sure there are 5 dashes to either side of the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE and that no white spaces, extra line breaks or additional characters have been inadvertently added.
- Save the file as intermediate_ca.txt
Step 2: Obtain the Server Certificate
- The RapidSSL certificate will be sent by email to the Technical Contact email address listed on the order.
- Copy the certificate imbedded in the body of the email and paste it into a text file using Vi or Notepad.
The text file should look like:
- Make sure there are 5 dashes to either side of the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE and that no white spaces, extra line breaks or additional characters have been inadvertently added.
NOTE: The certificate can be also downloaded from the RapidSSL User Portal by following the steps from this link.
Please select X.509 as a certificate format and copy only the End Entity CertificateSave certificate filename with a .txt extension. For example: server.txt
Step 3: Install the Server Certificate and the Intermediate CA Certificate
- Login to Control Panel.
- Click on SSL / TLS Manager.
- Click "Generate, view, upload, or delete SSL certificates" link listed under "Certificates (CRT)".
- Paste the CSR submitted with the order into Certificate Signing Request (CSR) section above.
- When the page loads, click the Browse button and locate the SSL certificate file (public.crt) or paste the contents of the certificate in the Upload a New Certificate text box.
- Click on the Upload button.
- Click the Go Back link at the bottom of the page to return to SSL/TLS Manger.
Step 4: Activate SSL\TLS on the Web Site (HTTPS)
NOTE: This step must be completed before applying the certificate to the site.
- Click SSL/TLS Manager > select Setup a SSL certificate to work with your site
NOTE: If this option is not available, the ISP/Host may have disabled it and they will need to be contacted to complete the certificate setup.
- Under Install/Update a SSL Host, select the domain from the Domain drop down list.
The system will attempt to Fetch the Server Certificate and Private key.
- In the box labeled Certificate (CRT) check the certificate that has been fetched and confirm it matches the certificate that was downloaded in Step 2. If it does not match, remove the fetched certificate and replace it with the correct one.
- In the box labeled CA Bundle, paste the contents of the Intermediate CA certificate file downloaded in Step 1 (intermediate_ca.txt).
- Click on Install Certificate.
- Once all the fields are populated click "Install Certificate". A message will be displayed indicating that the certificate was successfully installed. If an error is the host may need to contacted for additional support.
- Verify the installation of the certificate chain using our RapidSSL CryptoReport
For additional information please refer to Cpanel 11 Documentation.