solution ID for steps on creating a new CSR with a 2048 bit length without removing the previous certificate: SO6425
1. Under Administrative Tools, open Internet Services Manager.
2. Open the Properties window by right-clicking on the name of the Web site you wish to secure.
3. Click the Directory Security tab.
4. Click Server Certificate in the Secure communications section. If you have not used this
option before the Edit button will not be active.
5. Select Create a new certificate
6. Select Prepare the request now, but send it later. RapidSSL only accepts CSR’s through
the enrollment process forms. We do not accept CSR's via email.
7. Provide the friendly name for this certificate. This will help you identify the certificate if
multiple certificates are installed. For the bit length, specify 2048. Click Next.
8. Provide the Organization and the Organizational Unit information and click Next.
Organization (O): If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the
shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll. Example: XYZ Corporation
Organizational Unit (OU): This field is the name of the department or organization unit
making the request.
9. Provide the Common Name and click Next.
Common Name (CN): The Common Name is the fully qualified domain name for which you intend to secure i.e. www.domain.com - for wildcards it is *.yourdomain.com
NOTE: RapidSSL certificates can only be used on Web servers using the Common Name
specified during enrollment. For example, a certificate for the domain "domain.com" will
receive a warning if accessing a site named "www.domain.com" or "secure.domain.com",
because "www.domain.com" and "secure.domain.com" are different from "domain.com".
10. Provide the Geographical Information for your Organization and Click Next.
Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US or CA.
State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name,}
for example: California
Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name, for example: Mounatin View.
11. Provide a file name and location to save your CSR. You will need this CSR in order to
enroll for your SSL certificate. Click Next.
12. Confirm the CSR Summary Information. Click Next > Finish.
13. A CSR file has been generated. To copy and paste the information into the enrollment form,
open the file in a Notepad or Vi that does not add extra characters
NOTE: Upon completing the Certificate Wizard, it is important to leave the request pending for successful
certificate installation. Choosing the option to delete the pending request from the Certificate Wizard will
prevent installation of the certificate that is returned.
14. Proceed with the Enrolment.
NOTE: During the enrolment open the file you created from the above steps and copy the contents into
the enrollment form when requested for the CSR.
During the verification process, RapidSSL may need to contact your organization.
Be sure to provide an email address, phone number and fax number that will be
checked and responded to quickly. These fields are not part of the certificate.